Thursday 28 October 2010

Stealth health

Do you find yourself glazing over when the words trans-fat, omega or GM creep in to a discussion? 
Do I really understand all of this???
Umm, no. 
Why is healthy eating full of options that all seem so scientific? 
What ever happened to water, fruit, vegetables, meat and potatoes? 

I feel robbed of the simple life.
 
Tracy Emin
I know, I know, I know. 
It's easy, right? 
Proteins beat Carbohydrate. Carbohydrate beats Fats. Good Fats beat Bad Fats. 
And so on. 
Like paper scissors stone for our budding lab-loungers. 
But for me? My school actually asked me not to take Chemistry and Physics GCSE. 
It's not my thing. Too much information, and I switch off zzzz...
 
This, however, doesn't mean that I don't want to be a goddess of health. 
I try! I've got  a cupboard in my kitchen full of tinctures, supplements, vitamins. 
It's all a bit much. 
I tend to just stick to my Multi-vitamin and hope for the best.
 
Whenever I go into a health food shop (which, actually, is fairly frequent - I like the smell of shops like that. Perhaps in a vain attempt to breathe in health), I am overwhelmed by the hundreds of lentils, pulses, organic, sugar-free, dairy-free, non-carb, non-taste... 
This is when I break out in to a gentle sweat. 
Surely I can't eat, let alone afford, all of these things! 
I make a bee-line for the hempseed 9-bars, pay, and run.
 
Wouldn't it be nice and helpful to know a bit about a few things that make for a healthy diet? Along with a comprehensible explanation why?
 
Then check out gorgeous Tomm's blog: http://thehealthfoodcompanion.blogspot.com
For the science dunces like me, whom far prefer healthy eating this way:

 



1 comment:

  1. VERY INFORMATIVE AND WITTY. YOU HAVE WIT. I'LL KEEP CHECKING FOR MY WEEKLY 'ALL ONE TO ME' FIX

    ReplyDelete